Welcome, fellow foodies and cannabis enthusiasts, to The Stoners Cookbook! Today, we have a unique and indulgent recipe for you – French Vanilla Custard with a twist. Yes, you read that correctly; we’re infusing this classic dessert with a little green magic. If you’re looking for a decadent dessert with a twist, our French Vanilla Custard with a cannabis infusion is just the treat you need.
This creamy and luscious custard combines the rich flavors of vanilla and cannabis for a delightful experience. Whether you’re a cannabis enthusiast or simply looking to try something new, this recipe is sure to satisfy your sweet tooth and provide a unique culinary adventure.
For the Custard:
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1 vanilla bean or 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup cannabis-infused butter (cannabutter)*
- A pinch of salt
For the Topping (Optional):
- Fresh berries (strawberries, raspberries, or blueberries)
- Whipped cream
- Mint leaves for garnish
Step 1. Prepare the Cannabis-Infused Butter (Cannabutter):
- To make cannabutter, decarboxylate your cannabis by placing it on a baking sheet and baking at 240°F (115°C) for 30-40 minutes. This step activates the THC.
- In a saucepan, melt the butter over low heat.
- Add the decarboxylated cannabis to the melted butter and simmer on low for 2-3 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Strain the mixture through a fine-mesh strainer or cheesecloth into a container, pressing to extract as much liquid as possible.
- Allow the cannabutter to cool and solidify in the refrigerator. Once solid, it’s ready to use in your custard recipe.
Step 2. Infuse the Cream and Milk:
- In a medium saucepan, combine the heavy cream and whole milk. If using a vanilla bean, split it lengthwise and scrape out the seeds. Add both the seeds and the vanilla pod to the milk mixture.
- Heat the mixture over medium-low heat until it begins to simmer. Remove from heat and let it steep for 15-20 minutes. If using vanilla extract, add it after steeping.
- Remove the vanilla pod (if using) and discard it.
Step 3. Whisk the Egg Yolks and Sugar:
- In a separate mixing bowl, whisk together the egg yolks, granulated sugar, and a pinch of salt until the mixture is pale and slightly thickened.
Step 4. Temper the Eggs:
- Slowly pour the hot milk mixture into the egg yolk mixture, whisking continuously to avoid curdling.
- This process is called tempering, and it gradually raises the temperature of the eggs without cooking them.
Step 5. Cook the Custard:
- Return the combined mixture to the saucepan and cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until it thickens enough to coat the back of a spoon. This should take about 5-8 minutes.
Step 6. Add the Cannabutter:
- Once the custard has thickened, remove it from the heat and whisk in the cannabis-infused butter until fully incorporated.
Step 7. Strain and Chill:
- Pour the custard through a fine-mesh strainer into a clean bowl to remove any curdled bits or the vanilla pod remnants.
- Let the custard cool to room temperature, then cover it with plastic wrap, making sure the wrap touches the surface of the custard to prevent skin from forming.
- Refrigerate for at least 4 hours or until fully chilled.
Step 8. Serve and Garnish:
- When ready to serve, scoop the chilled custard into ramekins or serving cups.
- Optionally, use a blowtorch to caramelize the top for a delightful contrast of textures.
- Garnish with fresh berries, a dollop of whipped cream, and mint leaves for a pop of color and flavor.
Note: Enjoy your French Vanilla Custard with a Twist responsibly! Remember that cannabis-infused treats can have potent effects, so consume them mindfully and be aware of your tolerance. This recipe serves as a delicious way to explore the world of culinary cannabis while savoring a classic dessert.
And there you have it – a cannabis-infused French Vanilla Custard that’s sure to delight your taste buds and soothe your soul. Whether you’re enjoying it as a post-dinner indulgence or satisfying those late-night munchies, this dessert is a winner.
Remember, always consume cannabis responsibly, especially when infusing it into your culinary creations. Enjoy your creamy, dreamy treat, and share your thoughts in the comments below. Happy cooking, stoners!